Aims of General Studies
The aim of General Studies is to provide children with the basic knowledge related to the individual, family, society, science and technology and the natural world. Such knowledge is essential for the development of study skills, life skills, problem solving capability and analytical thinking of children. In the course of learning, children develop good characters and healthy living habits which enable them to deal with people and cope with the demands of a changing society in a positive, objective and responsible manner.
Objectives of General Studies
A. Long-term objectives
Knowledge ( 知識 )
1. Healthy Living: including physical and psychological development of the individual and the development of a healthy and safe lifestyle;
2. Living Environment: including the family, the school, the local community, the nation and the world;
3. The Natural World: including the characteristics of plants and animals, and the relationship between human beings and the environment;
4. Science and Technology: including the knowledge of science and technology, and their effects on human beings.
Skills ( 技能 )
Help pupils to develop the following skills:
1. Life skills: including the ways of developing a healthy lifestyle and getting along with others;
2. Study Skills: including the observation of different phenomena, the handling of simple scientific equipment, reading charts/diagrams and the collection/reporting of related information;
3. Analytical Skills: including the collating and analysis of information observed or collected; distinguishing between facts and opinions; understanding causal effects, applying scientific methods and solving problems through sensible decisions.
Attitudes ( 態度 )
Help pupils to develop the following attitudes:
1. Attitudes towards people: including positive attitudes in communicating with other people and in social groups, in getting along and co-operating with others and having positive attitudes towards life;
2. Attitudes towards things: including the enquiring attitudes of learning, recognition and respect for the Chinese culture, respect for other peoples' opinions and different cultures, and willingness to participate in meaningful activities;
3. Attitudes towards society and the World: including concern for the local community, the home country and the world, care of nature and the conservation of natural resources.
B. Short-term objectives
1. To develop students’ creativity.
2. To develop students’ skills in collecting information, analyzing and reporting.
3. To help students co-operate with others.
4. To encourage environmental protection.
5. To encourage awareness of personal hygiene, the society and personal health.
6. Use multiple resources and media in teaching.